Saturday, February 7, 2009

Strawberries were $.99 per pound at the grocery store last week so I decided I would try to make jam. After doing some research and calling some people, I tackled the challenge.
Jam isnt the hardest thing in the world to make, but you cant double the recipe because the pectin is finicky and wont set right if you do. So about two containers, or 2 lbs of strawberries makes 4 cups of crushed berries. Then it mixes with 7 cups of sugar. Once that is boiling, you mix in one packet of pectin and boil for 1 min. Then the water boiler takes about 20 min (10 min extra for our high altitude). One batch went pretty fast, but I had16 lbs!! I finally decided to make a couple of batches of freezer jam. That was nice because it didnt have to be boiled and canned. But it only used 1 lb of strawberries per batch. In the end, it took about 5-6 hours, we decided to eat 2 boxes of strawberries so we only used 14 boxes, 50 cups of sugar, and 8 packets of pectin. It made about 24 jars of varying size. One sad note, I dropped a qt size jar on the garage floor.
It was a long day but I hope it was very worth it. Nolan was super daddy. He played with Clara all day, he and Lexa washed their bikes (one motorcycle, one bicycle), and took them on a really long bike ride. He helped me set up the water-boiler. We use our gas camping stove outside. Seems to keep a steady boil better than our electric stove in our house.

0 comments:

 
Copyright (c) 2010 Everything Is All Wright. Design by Wordpress Themes.

Themes Lovers, Download Blogger Templates And Blogger Templates.